Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:10:31 -0500
From:      Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back to the Future - 64-bit time_t on sparc64

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Well, I have done more typing and testing, and it looks like I
> can reliably upgrade a 32-bit time_t system to 64-bit time_t
> even for people who install from NFS-mounted partitions.
>
> I have also expanded the instructions for updating, and tried
> to make them more useful and informative.  So there is now the
> writeup, and two useful scripts:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/UPDATING.64BTT
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_oldk
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_newk
>
> The 'oldk' script is only needed for installing via NFS mounts.
> The 'newk' script is recommended for anyone doing this upgrade.
>
> Adventurous people are invited to try this for installs on any
> system, and let me know how it goes

I have completed a successful move to 64bit time_t using your
instructions.  This is on a Netra t1 using cvs sources from Saturday
morning.  Everything went smoothly.

The only thing I did differently was rather than using portupgrade to
rebuild all my ports, I played it safe and did a pkg_deinstall '*' right
before booting into the new kernel.  Then after using the script
installworld_newk (and booting again), I reinstalled perl, ruby, and
portupgrade.  Then I used portinstall to install the rest of my ports.

So far, no problems.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@mindspring.com