Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:18:00 +0100
From:      Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Audio for SSH and VNC

Look up a program called Seren.

The sources build just fine on modern Linux's, and possibly FreeBSD,
though I've not tried the latter.

    http://holdenc.altervista.org/seren/   It's a non GUI tool, running
in a command line terminal, so very low CPU usage.

(Pulse is good, but not exactly low impact.)

Seren was I think intended for gamers, many to many etc, but works point
to point just fine, and with very good quality audio.

It streams via UDP, as such wont travel over SSH, but OpenVPN works
well, if you only want one connection, else Seren can handle its own
encryption for the audio traffic.  Though how "secure" that is, I don't
know.  I move off default ports and hide "somewhere else" up in the
high-port space.

There is a simple text messaging facility too.

No affiliation, just a very happy user for remote ham radio needs.

Best Regards.

    Dave B (G8KBV)

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: