Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:45:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        mladavac@metropolitan.at, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/97A8CA5BF490D211A94F0000F6C2E55D09756B@s-lmh-wi-900.corpnet.at> you write:
>	You will notice that the people from academia are usually
>full-time paid by taxpayer money, and are required by law to release
>their work to general public.  This is the source of new development,
>because research is extremely high-skilled labor intensive and hence
>expensive.  However, it is somewhat illusory to expect that someone on
>academic payroll will be allowed to work on snow from yesteryear (well,
>previous decade is more like it) such as NFS fixes.  If you can get your
>Minister of Science and Education to fund such a project, then you have
>way better connections than I do to mine.

Heh, that's pretty accurate.  About the only thing that you can get
your Research Lead to authorize funds for is _new_ research.  Not
fixing old problems (uninteresting, it's just "engineering"), and not
"replicating" someone elses's work (quite unfortunate attitude, that).

I once brought up the idea of working on something like the equivalent
of AFS for FreeBSD to one of my professors, and his response was that
it was not research; it was just an implementation.

Now, designing/implementing something like an "NFSv4", might be
considered research, but probably would be at cross purposes with
FreeBSD's goals.
--
Jonathan