Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:00:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, sja@tekla.fi
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> Here is a related idea I've been toying with.  I think I could easily
> extend CVSup to support "pseudo-tags".  These would be like CVS tags,
> except they wouldn't really exist in the repository.  Instead, the CVSup
> server would know about them.  A pseudo-tag would correspond to some
> date on some branch.  The user could request an update for a pseudo-tag
> exactly as he now gets an update for a real tag.

Warp^H^H^H^Hgreat minds think alike. :-) I was just thinking about
that this morning, wondering how tags could be made "lighter weight"
in some way so that you could slap them down whenever you wanted to
mark some milestone and not have to worry about the cost of full-blown
cvs tags.  It sounds like your idea will handle one kind of
application for tags, though I don't know how well it would work in
the cases where you want to stamp out lots of unique tags, rather than
continuously updating one "pseudo-tag" entry.  Lots of people number
their builds, for example, and it'd be kind nice if you could tell
someone "build #2347 was pretty good - why don't you take the customer
a tape of that?" and know that 2347 was "tagged" just as builds 2346
and 2348 were.  If you could even slide these tags up and down files
on an individual basis so the buildmeister for 2347 could treat it
like a real tag, you'd have extended cvs usefulness considerably (but
doing it all in cvsup, thus leaving cvs's "native tags" completely
undisturbed).  It's a neat idea, adding another layer to cvs's tagging
in cvsup.  Stick a reasonably powerful "tag database" model into this
and I can even see addressing some of cvs's other annoyances.  You
could go pretty berserk with this concept, in fact! :-)

						Jordan