Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:24:28 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 03:35:49PM -0500, Jud stood up and spoke:

> Does FBSD in its "out of the box" configuration have similar abilities, or
> is there a way to provide them?  If not, it seems like it would be a useful
> thing for someone (not me, unfortunately - I'm no programmer) to
> create.

My own observations show that FreeBSD does a much better job of keeping the
CPU cool than Windows does. I have no scientific data here, but on my
brother's K6-2 500 Mhz, the mainboard only switches on the fan once the CPU
has reached a certain temperature. In FreeBSD, the fan basically stays off
if you boot and do nothing. Only if you produce some serious load (make
world, etc) the fan will come on. If you let the system sit idle for some
time, the fan will even go off again.

In Windows, well, you just have to boot it and let is sit "idle" for a few
minutes. The fan will come on and never go out again. This seems to suggest
that Windows does something to the CPU even when it seems to do nothing.

Generally, as far as cooling is concerned, I have found it useful to follow
AMD's recommendations, which say that besides a PSU and CPU fan, you should
also use another rear exhaust fan. This may make your machine a little
noisier, but it could be essential, especially if you have other things in
there that produce a lot of heat (like a fast hard disk, graphics card or
whatever).

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany