Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 06:57:43 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/contrib chapter.sgml

At Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:25:54 +0100 (CET),
Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org> wrote in list.freebsd-chat:
>  >   Although it's difficult to guess male or female by a Japanese name
>  > written in alphabets, I'd show some simple rules... (Sort of the first
>  > match wins principle applies)
>
> Thankyou very much, that's a very helpful set of rules.
>
> On a related isue, I'm sometimes confused as to what is the
> "first name" and what is the "last name" (surname).  It seems
> that there is a convention that Japanese surnames are written
> in all uppercase letters -- is that right?
>
> Regards
>    Oliver

  Exactly.  I think most Japanese people are likely to obediently
follow the rules of western languages.

  Now, imagine a man whose family name is YAMADA and the given name is
Taro. (kind of "Joe Ordinary" in Japanese)  There can be several
styles for him to put on his name, as shown below:

	Taro Yamada
	Taro YAMADA
	Yamada, Taro
	YAMADA Taro

Except an upcase'd name explicitly indicates that it's a family name,
you can just read it in western way.

  I belive both Chinese and Korean people have their own rules, but at
least Japanese people tend to show their adaptability.

P.S.
  Another rule!  Names that end with /ro/ (roh) are 99% of male.
Because "-ro" means "male" as well as "-o" does.  On the other hand,
"-ko" does not mean "female" but "child".  Maybe a baby girl was
traditionally taken as pretty and lovable being whose father might not
want to give his daughter in marriage and want her to always be a
child, while a baby boy was treated as a son and heir who would
succeed his father who would always want to make a man of his son as
soon as possible.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."