Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:36:20 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Justin P. Michel" <jpmichel@jcontinuum.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL Server

Justin P. Michel wrote:
> However, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get MySQL Server installed.
> I have all the "prerequisite" packages installed, and I'm using the pkg_add
> command with the following results:
>
> ---
>
>>pkg_add
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/mysql-server-
> 3.23.49.tgz
>
> Fetching...  Done.
>
> Sorry, the host '192' cound not be looked up.
> Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
> If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
> the --force option
> pkg_add: command '/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db' failed
> mysql:*:88:
> You alread have a group "myswl", so I will use it.
> mysql:*:88:88:0:0:MySQL Daemon:/var/db/mysql:/sbin/nologin
> You already have a user "mysql", so I will use it.
> pw: WARNING: home '/var/db/mysql' does not exist
> Changed home directory of "mysql" to "/var/db/mysql"
> chown: /var/db/mysql: No such file or directory
> pkg_add: install script returned error status
> ---
>
> I've read various pages on MySQL, but nothing seems to address this error.
> Can someone please direct me to a help page/site that can be of use, or
> perhaps just tell me what I can do?

This problem is fairly common with MySQL installations.  The solution is to
actually READ the error messages:

 > Sorry, the host '192' cound not be looked up.
 > Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.

If you enter the command "hostname" what do you get?  You need to make sure
that the resolver library can resolve that.
The easiest way to solve this problem is:
1. Set up a hostname in /etc/rc.conf
2. Enter the hostname in /etc/hosts so the resolver can resolve it
3. Reboot (or use the "hostname" command to manually set the hostname)
4. Install MySQL

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology