Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:41:28 -0700
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW/NATD: Client problems with Identd for IRC, also Napster

Hello all!

I just set up a IPFW/NATD box for my internal network (of one windows machine) which is connected to the internet via Mediaone cable service.  I've set it up to be an "OPEN" firewall (refer to rc.firewall) for now untill I learn to write my own rule sets.

To keep it short.  It works.  I can surf the web and check email, but irc and napster seem to have problems.  When connecting to IRC servers using mirc on the Windows machine, I get identd errors which make things very difficult to access efnet, undernet, or dalnet servers. Sure I can use the FreeBSD box to access IRC, but my wife prefers the windows machine.

My guess is that it's natd or the firewall that is doing something to muck things up with ident.  Is there a way around this?  How can I fix it so she (my wife) can access IRC via popular Windows IRC clients.  I tried doing some web searches to see if others have run across this problem, but didn't find anything that would solve the problem.

Also, it seems as though she had some troubles with napster.  She was able to connect to their servers, but wasn't able to browse the shares of other napster users.  Again, I didn't find anything that would help me solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Joey