Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Matt Impett <M.Impett@flarion.com>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: source address based routing

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Matt Impett wrote:
> > gladly.. I am trying to implement reverse tunneling for mobile-IP.  The
> > basic idea is that packets must be reverse tunneled to different IP
> > addresses depending on the source address of the packet.  The reason the
> > tunnel does not have an IP address associated with it is that I don't want
> > to forward traffic down the tunnel for any other reason besides source
> > addresses.  As soon as I assign the tunnel interface an address, traffic
> > sent to that address will be tunneled.

Surely 10.200.x.x is unlikely to be used.. it gives you 64000 possible
tunnels. What I am having trouble with is that the tunnel to use depends
on the SOURCE? That seems a little unusual.. Obviously I'm missing
something in the words "reverse tunnelling".

> Thanks, that was really helpful to get an idea of what your scenario is!
>
> >>	route add DUMMY_NEXT_HOP -interface GIF
> >>	ipfw add fwd DUMMY_NEXT_HOP all from SOURCE to any
> >

> > I have thought about doing this, but am a little concerned about assigning
> > DUMMY_NEXT_HOP.  As soon as I issue "route add DUMMY_NEXT_HOP -interface
> > GIF", that DUMMY_NEXT_HOP address is now unusable by anyone else.
> > Therefore, I guess it would have to be private, but then this would stop
> > anyone from actually using this private address in the local domain.

ability to forward to an interface would be kind of cool..

> Well, nobody should be using a private address in any domain that's
> connected to the Internet, so you may be safe there.
>
> If not, then you could do either
>
> 	(1) modify ipfw to allow specification of a local interface (as
> 	    opposed to a gateway IP adress) in the fwd rule

this would be cool but I'm not sure how feasible.. I have not looked at
Luigi's new ipfw implementation yet.