Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:16:49 +0200 (EET)
From:      Gediminas Vilutis <gedas@itpa.lt>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Smart Array 221 on non Compaq servers

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > We have a problem with Compaq Smart Array 221 controller. We are trying to
> > use it on non-Compaq server (Intel LB440GX 2U server system, with
> > Intel L440GX+ motherboard).
> >
> > The problem we encountered is that we can't setup RAID array. I.e.,
> > FreeBSD (and Linux) drivers sees controller correctly, but all Compaq
> > utilities, that we were able to find, are either NT based (haven't tried
> > them yet) or complain that motherboard doesn't support some function (ecc
> > error checking on pci bus or something like that).
> >
> > So, does anybody know how to setup a RAID array on this controller? Or is
> > that controller dead thing on non-compaq servers?
>
> Compaq controllers are intended by Compaq to only be used in Compaq
> servers.  Under some circumstances you might get lucky otherwise, but as a
> general rule you can forget using them in any other system.

Situation in my case wasn't so tragic. We configured, as someone suggested
in this list earlier, RAID controller in NT machine and now it seems to
be running ok.

Now after all that troubles with Compaq hardware I have another question.
Is it possible to boot directly from array, configured on Mylex
eXtremeRAID adapter?

Regards,
Gediminas