Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:34:42 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Shimon@i-Connect.Net
Subject:   Re: Raw I/O Question

>For example, we did READ and WRITE to random records in a block device.

It's usually a mistake to use the block device .  It is not raw.  It has
a braindamaged default block size (BLKDEV_IOSIZE = 2048).  Write errors
on it can't be reported to the application.  Benchmarks on it aren't
interesting.

>We see a depression in READ and WRITE performance, until block size
>reaches 2K. At this point performance picks up and levels off until
>block size reaches 8KB.  At this point it starts gradual, linear
>decline.

2K is magic (see above).  I would expect read and write performance to
increase with the size below 2K too.  I would expect performance to be
abysmal for all sizes unless the controller and drive very low command
overhead and/or very effective caching.

Bruce