Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:10:27 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stray??

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:11:59AM +0300, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	This is bizarre:  by itself, % dmesg gives me this--note the
> > 	``stray irq 7'' line at the end?
> >
> > 	I was editing /var/run/dmesg.boot last week; don't see how
> > 	this could have affected the output of dmesg, tho.
> >
> > 	Any thoughts here, folks?
> > ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> > ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> > plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> > ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> > stray irq 7
>
> stray irq 7 is weird since it belongs to ppc0. It really doesn't belong
> here.
> If it's still not working you may try:
> options         PPC_PROBE_CHIPSET
>
> Also, check your port settings in bios.
> read ppbus(4) an ppc(4)
> It talks about different modes.

	The "stray irq %d" comes from /sys/i386/isa/intr_machdep.c,
	around like 318.  There are interesting comments that most of
	us should at least be aware of.  Esp'ly those of us with
	prehistoric hardware.

	I've got a pointer to this in one of my ~/.notes files...
	in case this bites me again!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix