Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 03:36:01 -0000
From:      sean.lawrence@cantire.com
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I continue?

"Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>@FreeBSD.ORG on 06/11/2000 02:02:21
AM

Please respond to "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>

Sent by:  owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

To:   "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>,
      "sean.lawrence@cantire.com" <sean.lawrence@cantire.com>
cc:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:40:56 -0000, sean.lawrence@cantire.com
wrote:

>Which distribution did you use? Xuser, User, minimun..

I did all full blown everything whenever I was asked.

>The boot process should have been automatic. If you just let it
>go through and don't touch your keyboard it is supposed to come
>up.

If I let it go it says I do not have a valid kernel, it doesn't pick up the
kernel.GENERIC automatically

>"Sections Missed"?
>Why do you say you are missing?
>The instructions you read I believe were for 2.X if I recall
>correctly.
>It also has to do with which distribution you used.

I'm installing 4, I never saw any screen s for setting up my keyboard
mapping or any of the xwindows stuff. I probably jumped the gun on one of
the screens. I don't think it's a problem with the distribution, I think it
was the user.

>A new install always uses the GENERIC kernel. it is not until
>you roll your own that it is replaced.

Thanks thats what I figured, I'm just debating whether to start from
scratch as this was my first run through the install process and I don't
want to realize further down the road that I messed something up  or missed
something. I haven't done any custom configuration yet so It would be easy
to start over.

Francisco