Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:05:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hard drive not spinning down

Hi,

I have been noticing that the hard drive doesn't spin down like it should.
I have already taken the steps of setting async and noatime to all the
filesystems, so mere reads will not cause the hard drive to spin up if the
data is already in its cache.

After watching the hard drive light, I noticed that the hard drive was
being accessed about once every 30 seconds.  Suspicious, I checked the
update daemon and sure enough, it flushes the cache every 30 seconds.  So
something out there is writing stuff.

However -- I have turned off sendmail's automatic queue runs and the only
other things going were X, fvwm2, and some xterms -- all of which were
running telnets that were logged in to a remote machine.

This isn't a big problem but it is a strange one.

A bigger problem is that the last time I hibernated the system, it locked
solid when I turned it back on -- the video was restored and then it would
lock.  I suspect this is due to either X running or the Ethernet card
being plugged in -- I have heard that there may be some strange
interference from either of these things -- so I need to do some more
investigating yet.

John