Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:56:44 +0930
From:      "W. Sierke" <ws@senet.com.au>
To:        <jesse@wingnet.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: maildrop with virtual users (userdb)

Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:

> W. Sierke wrote:
>
> > Can anyone provide any pointers on getting the virtual user facility of
> > maildrop-1.5.0 to work? e.g. (with virtuser@domain.tld defined in
> > /usr/local/etc/userdb):
>
> You're on the wrong list. You want one of the courier-mta lists.
>
> http://www.courier-mta.org

Perhaps, except that the problem (imo) appears to be more specifically
related to the FreeBSD port(s).

The maildrop port requires (has a dependency on) gdbm. I let this mislead me
into believing that the courier-imap port would also be using gdbm since I
understood that maildrop and courier-imap both derive from the courier
package. The courier-imap port uses the (Berkeley?) db library, however, and
unfortunately there are no obvious signs (apart from silent failure and the
"Invalid user specified." message from maildrop) that the db-generated
userdb is not compatible with gdbm. (This result is from installing
courier-imap first and setting up the userdb before installing maildrop. I
don't know whether if the order was reversed and the userdb had been created
with the tools provided with maildrop, that it would have been courier-imap
that wouldn't have been able to access the user entries in userdb).

Further, it appears (from my own attempts) that the gdbm option cannot be
used with the courier-imap port, the reasons for which I am not sufficiently
knowledgable to be able to say (perhaps someone could explain?). This
strikes me as odd since the maildrop port obviously can make use of either.
Is this a suitable point to raise on, say, freebsd-ports-bugs?

The solution to the original problem is to add "--with-db=db" and
"--enable-userdb" options when compiling the maildrop port. I only know how
to do this by editing the Makefile for maildrop and adding those options to
"CONFIGURE_ARGS+=". My attempt at using the -m option to portinstall to do
this did not work. My original attempt in which I only added the
"--enable-userdb" option failed because maildrop defaults to using gdbm.

I've only conducted preliminary testing on this but so far it does work.

Wayne