Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:39:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   unattended install

I brought up unattended install at theo's talk on openbsd, and got
something of a brushoff (understandable: they had done 40-ish machines in
short order for the terminal room, so it did not seem necessary to them).

Unattended install is critical to clustering, although it's nice for
everything else (I've been using it for 10 years now, both my own hacks
and vendor's hacks where available). Consider that all 128 machines in our
new cluster *do not have video cards*, and you get an idea of the problem.
You can't sit there and install the OS ineractively -- no video, no
keyboard, no mouse! Every one of these machines was brought up with our
own in-house unattended install. It's not something you want to show your
children: we build a prototype machine, toss some scripts in /, then burn
a CD rom from the root file system which along with the scripts does the
job. You boot the CD and 7 minutes later you have a machine, complete with
bootp-provided IP address, ready to go.  Once you have that first CD, you
clone 7 or so more to get the parallelism.

Ugly, but: using our system we can reload the entire rack (128 machines)
in less than an hour. (and yes, we used to do network reloads starting 10
years ago until about 5 years ago, but once you get above a certain number
of machines things get slow due to contention) (although even absent
contention the CDrom has proven to be faster).

I'm mentioning it here cause it will take some good thinking. I should
also mention that Solaris, Windows/NT and Linux have working unattended
install support. We will probably chuck our in-house unattended install
on the Linux boxes for the linux kickstart system.

So for you good hackers out there who may be thinking on install tools,
please give a thought to the need for unattended install.

thanks
ron

Ron Minnich                |Java: an operating-system-independent,
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |architecture-independent programming language
(609)-734-3120             |for Windows/95 and Windows/NT on the Pentium
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html