Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:31:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eilts@tor.muc.de (Hinrich Eilts)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

> > I can post (once again) the results of a Novell study on server usage
> > patterns.  The 30,000 foot view for a typical server breaks down to:
> >
> > 	75%	reads
> > 	15%	writes
> > 	8%	directory search operations
> > 	2%	other
>
> How does this translate to disk usage? I think, VM/buffer cache will
> reduce reads and directory search operations quite a lot.

I'm only reporting what Novell has characterized as "typical server
usage" over a much larger statistical smaple than has ever been used
in the UNIX community.  You're free to draw your own conclusions about
what "typical server usage" means.

My conclusion is that reads are 5 times more frequent than writes
and 10 times more frequent than directory operations.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.