Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:00:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: application specific key mappings?

Russell D. Murphy Jr. <rdmurphy@vt.edu> types:
> According to Mike Meyer (October 18, 2001):
> | If it's an X application, you might check to see if there are
> | resources that control what you want. That's the easiest method.
> It comes in two flavors: a console version and an X application.  The
> X application is the one I need to adjust.  However, there are no
> resource files and according to the vendor, the mappings are
> hardcoded.

In which case, the other recourse is a debugger and a binary editor.

Of course, you might want to play with it with appres and editres
before doing that.

> | If you're running it in an xterm, you can remap the keys in the
> | xterm. If that screws up everything else, xterm has an option to
> | change the resource class from XTerm to something else, and you can
> | remap the keys for *that* resource class, then run your application in
> | an xterm started that way.
> Any chance that the xterm remappings are inherited by applications
> started *from* the xterm?  That would be convenient.

Nope. That just controls how xterm deals with the keystrokes. If xterm
doesn't get them, nothing else will work.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.