Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:09:12 +0300
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        openoffice@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [concern] : disk space needed for building openoffice

Hello, Fernan Aguero!

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:43:38PM -0300, you wrote:

> I'm a StarOffice-52 user, and I've been watching progress on the
> openoffice port, waiting to try it. It seems that it is no longer
> marked as BROKEN, but something is still preventing me from trying
> it. There is a NOTICE that appears upon starting the installation
> that says that I'd need plenty of disk space to build it (4 GB).
>
> Is this real?
Yes. It's real.

> Currently I've a 5 GB partition for /usr, and use never got
> over 75%, even with lots of downloaded stuff in
> /usr/ports/distfiles. Now with a fresh install, I'm using 1.5 GB
> and have nearly 3 GB free. This includes all the FreeBSD sources,
> which I keep updated and the remnants of my last buildworld +
> buildkernel (which I didn't 'make clean' yet).
You should not 'make clean', just remove your object directory with
rm -rf /usr/obj (in default case). It will take much less time.

> Is it possible that builduing an office suite consumes far more
> resources that a full blown OS? I'm just intrigued :|
Yes. It's true.
But you can download pre-built binary packages from maintainer's site:

http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/

--
NEVE-RIPE
Ukrainian FreeBSD User Group