Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:55:11 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: including third party graphics in a port

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 12:50:19PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm trying to create a PR for net/netsaint to include BSD specific graphics (see
> http://freebsddiary.org/netsaint.php) for details of the graphics.
>
> I know how to create the patch to modify the html files.  I think I can specify the graphics tarball
> like this:
>
> PATCHFILES=     netsaint-graphics.tgz
> PATCH_SITES=    http://www.freebsddiary.org/samples/
>
> I think I specify the install locations of those files like this:
>
> $ grep bsd pkg-plist
> share/netsaint/images/bsd_logofullsize.gif
> share/netsaint/images/bsd_sblogo.gif
>
> Am I on the right track?  If you know of an existing port which does similar things, please let me
> know.  Thanks.

Mostly, yes.  However..

Is the netsaint-graphics.tgz file a collection of files, or a patch?
If it is a patch, then by all means put it in PATCHFILES.
If it is simply a collection of files, though, then you should
put it in DISTFILES and then create the tarball so that those files
are created in the appropriate directory (including the netsaint-0.0.7b6
path component).

If you do not want the ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION} component, then you
could put your .tgz in DISTFILES, then specify in EXTRACT_ONLY that
only the ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX} file should be
extracted.  After that, in the post-patch target, you extract your file
yourself - something like:

post-patch:
	cd ${WRKSRC} && tar zxf ${DISTDIR}/netsaint-graphics.tgz

Anyway, if the netsaint-graphics.tgz file does not tell netsaint to
actually install the files, you will need an additional step: make
a post-install target and in it, do something like..

BSDIMAGES=	bsd_logofullsize.gif bsd_sbsmall.gif
post-install:
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${BSDIMAGES:S,^,${WRKSRC}/path} ${PREFIX}/share/${PORTNAME}/images/

..or, if you want it simpler..

BSDIMAGES=	bsd_logofullsize.gif bsd_sbsmall.gif

post-install:
.for i in ${BSDIMAGES}
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/path/$i ${PREFIX}/share/${PORTNAME}/images/
.endfor

Hope that helps!

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.