Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:03:14 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Manuel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=FChn?= <freebsdnewbie@freenet.de>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound on wandboard-quad

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 20:08 +0200, Manuel Stühn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any support for sound on the imx6-based wandboard quad?  The
> wiki-page says no, but there seem to be some drivers (imx6_ssi.c
> imx6_audmux.c) which suggest some sound context. Unfortunately i
> don't know
> how to activate them. These drivers are marked as "optional sound" in
> "files.imx6".  What does this mean? In a verbose boot of a recent
> CURRENT
> (r335134) I do see the following line:
>
> [..]
> simplebus2: <ssi@2028000> mem 0x2028000-0x202bfff irq 68 compat
> fsl,imx6q-ssi (no driver attached)
> [..]
>
> How can the driver be attached?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Manuel

I begin looking into this a few days ago, and got as far as discovering
that we have some drivers, but they need a binary firmware blob for the
imx6 sdma engine. This morning I discovered that the firmware has been
released by NXP with a permissive enough license that I think we can
include it in the base freebsd source, I just have to learn how to do
that.

-- Ian