Date:      31 Dec 1996 18:56:31 +0100
From:      ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS install over SLIP link

> Hi,
> 	I'm trying to get an install going on an old machine I have here
> using my Debian Linux box, NFS exporting the CD (2.1.5).  The boxes are
> hardwired SLIP.  I get to the point of the FreeBSD sysinstall menu and it
> refuses to recognize the SLIP link between the two boxes, so everything
> dies right there.  I keep getting the message box that says "sl0" is not
> configured.  However, it is, and the VTY4 tells me it is if I do an
> ifconfig sl0.  Plus, I can ping the box running sysinstall from the other
> end, so the link is up and running.  But, the FreeBSD install refuses to
> recognize the link.  I've run thru it a bazillion times trying various
> different things, and it just refuses to work.  What am I missing here?

 This method for installing isn't frequently used; so every now-and-then,
a bug creeps into the install.

 Sometimes, you can work-around any problem by issuing commands on the
"emergency shell."  It was either 2.1.0 or 2.1.5 where I had to actually
build a new install disk to get this to work.  This would be detailed in
the mail archives.  [Look on the FreeBSD home page http://www.freebsd.org]

 However, I have recently tried 2.1.6 and it works fantastically,
as long as you remember to add the destination IP address in the
"extra ifconfig arguments" box of the network parameters screen.

 I'd suggest down-loading 2.1.6 and using that - it works.

 If that's not workable - I'll see if I can dig up my images; but I believe
I just happened to delete them yesterday to make room for the 2.2-BETA... :-(

	- Dave Rivers -