Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:25:40 -0400
From:      Steven Faulconer <sfaulconer@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard/Boot problem after clean 4.3 install (Solved)

I'd like to thank Ian Dowse and Sang-Kil (Sam) Suh for their excellent
ideas on my problem. Sadly, the ideas were not the solutions for my
problems, but they did start me thinking. The problem was exactly as Mr.
Dowse put it, that the bootloader couldn't read the boot sector on the
hard drive. The problem though, is that this drive is a SCSI drive, and
there is nowhere I could find to get the actual drive geometry to feed
into FreeBSD, since the geometry for the drive is given to the system
from the SCSI Bios on the card (At least, that is my understanding of
it). So, on to the solution..

I was looking at the Slice-Creation screen of the installer, and decided
to read the help section (rtfm), and noticed a hidden feature 'F' that
makes the slice the entire drive, instead of leaving the pad at the
beginning and end for future OSes and boot loaded. Since this system is
dedicated to FreeBSD, and I have no intention of running any other OS, I
decided to give this a shot. And it worked! Now, to reinstall and
actually get all the packages/ports that I need.

Thanks again to Ian Dowse and Sang-Kil (Sam) Suh for their assistance in
making me actually pull my head out of my butt and read the
instructions!

Steven Faulconer