Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:27:58 -0500
From:      T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no /dev/dsp.x

On Friday 28 November 2003 11:41 pm, T Kellers wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I'll try disabling ACPI in device.hints, tomorrow.
>
> When I first upgraded from 5.1-RELEASE to 5.2-BETA on Monday, I had to
> disable ACPI on the FreeBSD text startup menu or the laptop wouldn't talk
> network with anything.  Although an nmap from a remote machine said that
> ssh and ftp ports were open, I couldn't ftp or ssh to or from the machine
> with the default boot (number 1) selection.  Another cvs update and
> buildkernel/ buildworld seems to have corrected the problem.
> Unfortunately, I didn't install the KDE stuff until after the 5.2-BETA
> upgrade, so I don't know if the /dev/dsp issue was there with 5.1-RELEASE.
>
> Please let me know if you encounter similar wierdness after you do the
> 5.2-BETA upgrade.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim Kellers
> CPE/NJIT

After fighting with the laptop for about an hour this morning before class, I
decided to wipe out the FreeBSD slice and start over with 5.1-RELEASE.  After
that install and subsequent kernel build/install with device pcm, not only
didn't I have any pcm line in my dmesg, but I didn't have any snd_maestro3.ko
entries in /boot/kernel.  Just to make sure I wasn't dealing with a dead
maestro3, I booted into XP and, sure enough, the sound worked.

I nuked /usr/src and /usr/obj, cvsupped the sources and the buildworld &&
buildkernel && installkernel is proceeding as I type this.  If this doesn't
work --and confidence is low-- I'm pretty near stumped.  There is no
difference in hardware (or BIOS settings) from the identical laptop running
4.9-STABLE.

Ideas, suggesstions, rants  welcome.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT