Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:09:13 -0500
From:      "Matthew P. Marino" <bind9@citystamp.com>
To:        "Denis J. Cirulis" <denis@mt.lv>
Cc:        Allen May <allen@daytondigital.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL Install

My method was to get the distribution package from the MySQL site. go to;

 http://www.mysql.com/downloads/download.php?file=Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.47-unknown-freebsdelf4.4-i386.tar.gz

Compiling MySQL has some memory issues that can stress most mortal i386 systems.
I have 512MB RAM and it wasn't enough, even with --with_low_memory. I've done
the same for FreeBSD 4.1,4.4 and Solaris 7.

READ THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. Permissions on the "data" directory
will get you every time. Also, watch for the PID's being written to tmp
directories that don't exist. You'll get by it.