Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:55:30 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3CXFE575BT Megahertz xjack cardbus adapter

> for information about what Darryl Okahata needed to do to get X running
> on his 7500 (which is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the 5000).
>
> I tried Darryl Okahata's recipe on my 5000, and got basic X (1400x1050!)
> up and running. However, there is so much flickering as to make the screen
> basically unusable.
>
> With Linux I was able to follow the instructions on
>
> http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html
>
> This involves a patched X server, and setting a specific VESA mode on
> startup. I now have a wonderful, stable, non-flickering 1400x1050 screen.

The Mobility-P support in the XFree86 codebase is miserable, however.
I'd strongly suggest that investing in a copy of Xig's Laptop X will make
you a happy camper; it's a crime to have such a nice display perform so
poorly.  (not that Xig's server is without its own problems, but it works
OK and performs well).