Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 2016 13:51:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Philippe Michel <philippe.michel7@sfr.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make installworld creates empty dirs which are deleted by make delete-old

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, freebsd-stable-request@freebsd.org wrote:

> I updated the server 3 times in one week (to 10.2-p8, -p9, -p10).

> Those directories were deleted by delete-old
>
> # make -DBATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES delete-old
> /usr/share/doc/atf
> /usr/share/atf
> /usr/include/atf-c++
> /usr/include/atf-c
> To remove old libraries run 'make delete-old-libs'.
>
> By after next installworld, they are back.

You build world WITHOUT_TESTS=true, don't you ?

There are many of these flags that are somehow missed when creating
directories at install.

FWIW, with more WITHOUT flags set to true, my own list of directories
created again and again is :
>>> Removing old directories
/usr/share/snmp/mibs
/usr/share/snmp/defs
/usr/share/snmp
/usr/share/examples/pf
/usr/share/examples/ipfilter
/usr/share/examples/hast
/usr/share/examples/bhyve
/usr/share/doc/smm/07.lpd
/usr/share/doc/atm
/usr/share/doc/atf
/usr/share/atf
/usr/libexec/lpr/ru
/usr/libexec/lpr
/usr/include/netnatm/sig
/usr/include/netnatm/saal
/usr/include/netnatm/msg
/usr/include/netnatm/api
/usr/include/netgraph/bluetooth/include
/usr/include/netgraph/bluetooth
/usr/include/krb5
/usr/include/kadm5
/usr/include/gpib
/usr/include/dev/ieee488
/usr/include/bsnmp
/usr/include/atf-c++
/usr/include/atf-c
/etc/bluetooth
/etc/autofs
>>> Old directories removed

I think some similar cases were fixed a few months ago by NGie Cooper but
it was apparently those he stumbled on by himself or some specific bug
reports rather than the start of a more exhaustive sweep.

I suppose opening a PR could have helped but I procrastinated :-(.