Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:30:13 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom image to cdr

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:02:14AM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 10:13, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> > What is the easiest way to copy a complete cdrom with freebsd-4.11?
> > Normally I use burncd to burn an iso file to a new cdr, but I never
> > copied a complete cdrom to cdr under freebsd. My windows machines
> > are down and I need the copy soon. So please forgive me if I'm
> > ignorant. Hope the answer is easy ;-)
>
> This is covered in the handbook, but the basic idea is that you mount
> the CD, use mkisofs to create an iso of it and then burn the iso with
> burncd.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

No, the "basic idea" mentioned at the above URL is to recover the .iso
file using dd. This usually works. Doesn't work for multisession discs.

I've found some drives report EOM while reading the last block while
others wait until an attempt to read past the last block. Result is that
dd may read some one block short. May be good enough for everything but
verify after write.

/usr/ports/sysutils/cdrdao/ can handle arbitrary disc duplication, altho
I haven't tried it in quite a while.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net