Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:30:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP T4000s tape drive

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Jeff Aitken wrote:

> I recently purchased an HP T4000s "Colorado" SCSI-2 tape drive for use on a
> FreeBSD/NT box (FreeBSD-2.1.5-RELEASE, FWIW).  This drive uses tapes which purport
> to back up 4/8GB (without/with compression).  I found the following info in the
> hardware guide that came with the drive:

We have the Connor QIC predecessor to this drive and it works great.

> I'm a little unsure just how I should invoke, e.g., dump(1) to have things work
> "optimally".  If I specify no arguments at all, like this:
>
> 	dump 0uf /dev/nrst0 /home

Nope.  You need to specify the number of blocks and the blocksize.  The d
and s options are no longer useful.

We use the following command line(s) in a script to remotely backup one of
our machines to a Connor tape in another box:

rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 resnet2.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 resnet2.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /var
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 resnet2.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /usr
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 resnet2.uoregon.edu:/dev/rst0 /usr1

Adjust the numbers as necessary to fill the tape.

> After searching both the www.freebsd.org databases (WWW/Handbook and
> USENET archive)  I could turn up only two references to this matter,
> neither of which was terribly specific.  One person mentioned that they
> had a similar drive (Conner T4000) and that it worked well (it "ripped
> right along" was the comment).  I figure I must be missing something,
> since my drive hardly "rips right along".  I'm seeing between 100 and
> 300 KBps during backups, far from the advertised 514KBps (which, no
> doubt, only occurs under "optimal" circumstances, like when using the
> HP-provided software under an HP-supported platform :-) :-)

:)  The blocksize is wrong for the drive.  My commandlines above allow the
tape to stream right along.