Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:54:42 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XML'ifying again

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 02:13:39PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> One other quickie: is your plan to use XSLT to convert the device driver
> markup to Docbook for inclusion in the handbook and/or FAQs?

That would be part of it, yes.

For an idea of something I'd like to be able to support, go look at

    http://www.BSDI.COM/products/internet/hardware/

> Are you folks considering moving to Docbook XML?

Not yet.  SGML is more flexible than XML, and we can, if absolutely
necessary, pre-process the SGML to produce compliant XML, before
processing with XML tools.

For the time being, the doc project sticks with SGML.

I know that DocBook 4.0 is slated to be the last major SGML DocBook DTD,
as 5.0 will (apparently) be XML only.  That change is at least 18 months
away.