Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 23:21:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: out of kernel VM

>    Well, it's finally happend. Walnut Creek/Jack Velte just gave me the
> approval to purchase another 256MB of RAM for wcarchive. This presents an
> interesting new problem, however: we hadn't planned to scale quite this
> far in FreeBSD when we set the size of the kernel VM. It is currently
> 252MB and must be increased to 508MB in order to accomodate the increased
> sizes of various kernel data structures.
>    I've had a general policy of making FreeBSD work "out of the box" (more
> or less - "some assembly required") for people wanting to do a "wcarchive",
> and, well, this means that I need to bring the changes necessary to increase
> the kernel VM into our CVS tree. It's no big deal with -current since our
> users expect a few bumps when using it...but I want to make this change in
> -stable, too. The only problem I can see at the moment (and I'm running a
> -stable kernel with the necessary changes as I type this message) is that
> after the change is made, people must rebuild/install libkvm and 'ps'.
> We've already decided to give up some compatibility with the recent commit
> of the setproctitle() changes, so perhaps I'm making more out of this than
> is warranted.
>
>    So what do ya' think? Should I go ahead with the changes for -stable?
> Without them, FreeBSD may not work properly with 512MB of main memory.

Yes, I think this change should be made at this time.

Why:

  Until now you could not find a MB that supported >256MB, now with
  the P6 boards shipping as well as Triton-II on it's way (I can get
  a Triton-II Intel board, but am waiting on ASUS's) it is possible
  to get to the 512MB mark (and beyond with P6).

And a little side note... I would like a chance to quote you a price on
that 256MB of memory, I take it that these are 64MB 72 pin parity simms.