Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:05:10 -0400
From:      Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tee packets

Miroslav Lachman wrote:

>Stephen Clark wrote:
>

>>Hello List,
>>
>>We have a monitoring app that receives udp packets from units in the
>>field. We are in
>>the process of increasing the number of units we have reporting and are
>>seeing some
>>performance issues with our current hardware. I would like be able to
>>somehow route a
>>copy of each packet to another machine so I can test out different
>>hardware configurations
>>to see how performance is affected.
>>
>>Any ideas on the best way to do this?
>>

>If you are using PF as your firewall, you can use dup-to (man pf.conf)
>
>"The dup-to option creates a duplicate of the packet and routes it
>like route-to.  The original packet gets routed as it normally would."
>
>Miroslav Lachman

Thanks for the response - I am not using pf - this on freebsd 4.10.
I did solve the problem by using ipfw - tee option and wrote a quickie
userspace app
to change the destination address.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)