Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:19:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xeon

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> >   Large SMP configurations (> 4 processors) could be an issue, but that
> > wouldn't be the fault of the Xeon support but an SMP issue.  However, I
> > did see an e-mail early this year about someone booting FreeBSD on a 8 CPU
> > Xeon server.
>
> I booted 4.1 SMP on an 8-way ProFusion box. (8 x PIII/Xeon-700)  It
> worked as expected.

  I find it strange that lots of people are trying (booting) FreeBSD on
large x86 SMP systems, but no one seems to be using them in production.

  What are OS are people running on large x86 SMP systems?  I seem to
recall that NT 4.0 had a 4 CPU limit.  Windows 2000 AS can apparently
handle up to 8, but the release of 2000 is relatively new.

  Is FreeBSD practical on large x86 SMP systems?  It looks like some
slightly used Netfinity 5500 M20s with three Xeons each are about to
thrust upon me (picked up for half-price from a failing .com startup),
rather than the multiple dual-CPU systems that I originally speced.  Now a
3 x PIII-500 Xeon system is hardly large by any means, but what kind of
performance should be expected?

> --
> ... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
> rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
> to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
> people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
>            V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E

Tom
Uniserve