Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:54:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, james@miller.cs.uwm.edu, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video ioctl interface

>  1) Are we sure it's really worth the effort at this point?

i think so. there are (luckily) not too many apps using the old API, and
the programmers of those apps are still around...

>  2) I'd like us convert to this model:
>
>           Applications ->  Capture Library -> Capture Devices
>           Applications ->  Tuner   Library -> Tuner Devices
>
>     All device I/F abstracted through a common userland library/libraries.

this is a question of personal preference of course, but i am generally
against libraries unless they provide some significant functionality
(i.e. they do more than shuffling parameters), and function names are
reasonably short...

Another obstacle could be that a too high level library makes porting
to other systems harder.

I mostly agree with other items...

> 11) Remove any arbitrary ordering requirements for setting up parameters
>     before capture (as much as possible)
>     - Parm set calls just test whether parm is valid for its own range
>     - Start capture determines whether the entire parameter set is
>         valid together to start capture (i.e. inter-parameter checks),
>         and if so, configures the card and starts capture

i tried to achieve this same goal with the audio driver :)

> 12) API to parse Teletext and Intercast data, and to attribute the data nicely
>     so all apps don't know how to parse this stuff.  Use generic attribute
>     and attribute value lists.

for teletext it might be reasonably easy, but intercast format... as
far as i know is proprietary and undocumented...
Plus, there have been applications for along time now that use VBI only
as a raw carrier for the most disparate applications/formats, so in the
end i don't know how general such a library could be.

	cheers
	luigi