Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:33:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, daverk@epix.net
Subject:   Re: recommendations for mpg avi viewer requested

Dave Kaufman <daverk@epix.net> wrote:
 > hi, looking for a good mpg avi viewer. am running 4.4-RELEASE with Xfree86
 > 3.whatever (last before 4.x had problems running 4.x so...)

mplayer (it's in the ports collection).
Plays MPEGs, AVIs (including DivX), AFS, VideoCD, DVD, ...

It even uses hardware scaling (either through the SDL lib
or through the Xvideo extension), so you can view fullscreen
with moderate CPU requirements.  Provided that the scaling
acceleration is supported with your graphics card, of course.

Regards
   Oliver