Date:      12 Apr 1998 23:01:13 -0000
From:      Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

Frank Pawlak, on Thu 4/9/1998, wrote the following:

> Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > Would it be possible to have the Walnut Creek CDs in
> > computer/bookstores,
> > as I see the Linux CDs ?
> >
> > What would this take, just calling and marketing ?
>
> Yes that could be the case.  It is hard to justify a personal visit with
> a relatively low cost product such as we are talking about here.
>
> The other issue is how to college bookstores view their shelf space.
> Normal stores run on profit dollars per square foot of shelf space, with
> the low and slow movers getting the boot.  I wouldn't think that college
> bookstore are manage quite this tightly  but could be wrong.

I think that most college computer stores are run by the Student Body or
the University and are not subject to normal rental conditions.  A small
amount of space in these usually sparsely populated areas is not that much
to ask.  Getting them to actually purchase some copies for distribution is
a different story.

> Telemarketing or product on consignment maybe that way to get started.

If anybody would like to test, I can see if I can get a few stores in the
Berkeley area to see if they are interested... one problem is that I dont
really know how this works.

> Another idea that I've had is that those of use that are going to
> college make a call on the bookstore manager and try to sell them on
> FreeBSD.  There could be legal issues here with WC CDROM because someone
> acting as a sales person is an agent of the organization.
>
> CompSci and Computer Engineering Deptartment heads etc., maybe prime
> prospects for a freeby copy to seed that effort.
>
> Like any marketing effort this would have to be planed out a bit to get
> desired results.
>
> Frank
>

> > jay
> > --