Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:58:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> I have to agree that the problem is real.
> However, let me point out that a "one identifier" solution is
> very short sided.
>
> There are two distinct environments to be considered.
> The HOST environment and the TARGET environment.
> For convience, we should also consider a TOOLSET
> environment which is a cross between the two.
>
> Just as it is "wrong" to use compiler variables like,
> "__FreeBSD__" to control target compilations (except
> as a default), it is also "wrong" to do so for the ports.
>
> The group has come around to the idea that the files in /usr/include
> represent the HOST and not the TARGET.
>
> I suggest that you dig out my old proposal for tagging the HOST in
> /usr/include. The natural tag for the TARGET would be in
> /usr/src/include. However, I can see some problems with this for
> the ports tree.

Richard, don't forget that having /usr/src isn't required to build
ports.  It seems a pretty draconian requirement to add.  This is ports
we're talking about, and nearly all of ports cannot build (as they are
now) in cross-hosted environments.  There's 2000 ports to consider, and
the fix has to go in soon, not something for 2001.

I would not be against changes in strategy for the longer run (and your
ideas have merit for that view) but we need a short term fix here.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).