Date:      Thu,  4 Dec 2003 14:27:53 -0800
From:      sean@mcneil.com
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        DougB@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xscreensaver

This is part of a bigger issue.  It boils down as to whether FreeBSD should
support LDAP and how.  This is one reason why the base system is moving to
dynamic libraries vs. static.

The question is, do we want xscreensaver to work?  PAM is becoming a defacto
standard and to not support it seems counter-productive.  xscreensaver will
check your installation to see if you have PAM.  If you do, then it will
compile it in.  Unless, of course, you disable it.

I would love to hear the reasoning as to why PAM should not be supported.  I'm
sure you have some misgivings you haven't explained.

$0.02
Sean