Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 20:42:41 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18877: Also install libraries for the Wine port!

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR ports/18877; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
> To: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ports/18877: Also install libraries for the Wine port!
> Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 19:22:04 +0200 (MET DST)
>
>  On Mon, 29 May 2000, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>  >> + lib/wine/libwinmm.so.1.0
>  >> + lib/wine/libwinsock.so
>  >> + lib/wine/libwinspool.drv.so
>  >> + lib/wine/libwinspool.drv.so.1.0
>  >> + lib/wine/libwnaspi32.so
>  >> + lib/wine/libwnaspi32.so.1.0
>  >> + lib/wine/libwsock32.so
>  > Please get rid of those old aout-style 1.0 versions, before we could
>  > committ this stuff. It could be easily accomplished by replacing
>  > SOVERSION=1.0 with SOVERSION=1 in dll's Makefile's - "find ${WRKSRC}
>  > -name Makefile.in | xargs perl -pi -e '....'" is your friend.
>
>  I consider this an *extremely* bad idea.  You may be right, in principle,
>  but for the ports we should strive to keep the differences between the
>  official sources and the ports minimal.

Only for cases when this would not hurt port's functionality of the port (see
below).

>  As a matter of fact, I lost many hours in updating the Wine port and
>  bringing it back into fashion just due to extraneous modifications and
>  additions, and I definitely want to avoid such a situation happening
>  again.

But this would take only one-two lines in port's Makefile... After all the port
would be only half-functional with default .so versioning scheme - i.e. it is
unlikely that you will be able to teach elf ldconfig on how to link dynamic
executable with .so.1.0 shared library (please remember that wine is not only
emulator it is an API as well).

Of course the better way would be to persuade Wine developers to change versioning
scheme for FreeBSD, or at least make it compile-time configurable.

-Maxim