Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:53:30 +0200
From:      Marten Vijn <info@martenvijn.nl>
To:        Alex Markelov <alex.markelov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there known problem with USB flash readers?

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:47 +0100, Alex Markelov wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> I have a strange problem with my flash card reader when dd'ing NanoBSD
> images onto a CF card. It works for some time (3-4 writes of images),
> then I start getting scsi error messages and dd hangs. I have to
> disconnect/re-connect the reader to be able to write to CF again, but
> sometimes even this trick doesn't work.
>
> One day it stopped working for me and since I had a deadline to meet,
> went to local shop and bought another one (different model and brand).
> It worked fine for few write iterations and then it developed the same
> problem. When I decided (out of desperation) to try the old one again,
> it worked. So, I ended up using the two and swapping between it when
> either of the units stopped working.
>
> First thing I though that it might be the size of the image (2 or 4GB)
> that I was writing with dd and it was heating up the electronics, but
> yesterday a friend of mine stumbled upon the same problem and when his
> flash reader (different brand and model to mine) stopped working, he
> unplugged it from the FreeBSD box, plugged it in into his Linux laptop
> and it worked without a problem. In his view it laid to rest my theory
> about components heating too much as he did it without giving it a
> minute of rest.
>
> I vaguely recall there were problems with USB support in stable some
> time ago, but I thought it was all fixed and searching the list and
> the Internet doesn't give me anything.
>
> Both of us were using 7-stable. I can email model of the card readers
> later (not home at the moment).
>
> Basically, I have two questions:
> 1) is it something that well known and not model related
> 2) is there a well known reliable model of card reader I can buy. I
> don't mind the price if the device is rock solid.
>
> Any pointers/ideas are greatly appreciated!

I have been using 8 (with new USB support) and haven't had issues with
for the last year. A possible workaround coud be using pxeboot and
install flashcard from unother device avoiding usb. (i use mfsbsd for
this). Maybe getting more info would to diagnose (dmesg, and maybe a
ktrace of the dd.

2ct,
Marten

--