Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:51:02 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulate an end-of-media

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:44:55PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:19:33 +0100 "Martin Laabs" <martin.laabs@mailbox.tu=
-dresden.de> wrote:
>> My solution can just close the pipe at the one "end" of the magic
>> device which would be realy simple to implement in a script.
>
>While you're proposing a magic device that catches sigpipe, and
>delivers an EOM to make dump -a happy. I'm proposing that dump catch
>the sigpipe, and treat it like an EOM if it has -a. This may be
>non-workable, in that you have to be able to tell if it was the -P
>process or a slave process that generated the sigpipe, but I think
>it's the best solution.

I'm not sure wheher Martin is trying to create a dump that is a single
logical volume split over multiple physical volumes or a multi-volume
dump.

In the former case, then dump doesn't need to see the physical volume
changes.  The downside is that a partial restore would be painful as
would a media error partway through the dump.

I suspect Martin is trying for the latter case - which has a number of
advantages (like partial restores are much faster and a failed write
can be retried on new media).  But it also has some gotchas.  The
biggest one is that dump needs to be able to write past EOM (so it can
record an end-of-volume block).  This isn't a problem for physical
tapes (which report a logical EOM somewhat prior to the physical EOM
and will allow writing beyond the logical EOM).  But it does mean that
your magic device needs to be able to return EOM to dump early enough
that dump can record end-of-volume and the compressor can dump that
block and any trailing state before it runs out of media.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc--