Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:27:29 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
To:        Tom Vilot <tom@vilot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X11 / keyboard emacs?

Tom Vilot wrote:

>> have you tried to include the above bindings in your $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0
>> file?  maybe then it will get read by all applications using the gtk
>> 2.x toolkit.
> Thank you thank you thank you ...
> This has been driving me bonkers! ....
> It's not a systemwide setting .. but that's okay. In my home directory
> will do .....

actually I think it's a little more involved.. or not.
the bindings alone will probably not do, you also have to activate them.
for an ordinary theme, you simply include in your .gtkrc-2.0 the line

gtk-theme-name = "Foobar"

maybe gtk-theme-name = "Emacs" will already work.

if not, you somehow have to attach the defined bindings to the
appropriate widgets; you probably have to google around a bit, or look
it up how it's done in other theme files, since the gtk developers
haven't deemed it necessary to document the gtkrc syntax (...)