Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:14:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loading modules from within the kernel....

Since your driver initialisation is going to (often) happen before disk
I/O, I'd be inclined to put a dependancy in your module to another module
with a container object containing the firmware.

Of course, this brings to light the fact that I don't think we support
"soft" dependancies, ie. load-this-if-you-can-but-don't-fail-if-you-can't.

The current school of thought for solving this would be to have your
firmware load as a plain container in a fashion similar to the way we
load the MFS root image, and then use preload_search_by_type() to locate
it.