Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:36:18 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_add -r location for stable

The pkg_add -r location doesn't seem to me to be as clever as it ought to be;
or the package site doesn't have things installed as they ought to be.

I wanted to upgrade my system, and my experience with massive portupgrades
and/or with trying to replace packages and/or ports piecemeal has not been a
happy one, so I got the clever idea to upgrade my base system with the usual
buildworld/kernel/boot/intallworld/mergemaster thing (which always works so
smoothly--major coolness points for FreeBSD here) and then pkg_delete -a and
then go back and re-install all my packages.  (I saved a list before
upgrading.)

In general, this worked pretty well, but . . .

I thought that I could just "pkg_add -r", but it failed to find a lot of my
packages.  The reason that it failed to find them is that it was looking in
(for example)

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest

which is probably a very reasonable place to look first, but it seems to make
that it would make sense if it's not found there to look in

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All

instead.

Or perhaps the problem instead is that Latest should be populated wtih more
than it currently has.

In any case, the net effect is that pkg_add -r doesn't work as automatically
as one would hope at -stable.  (I could very well be wrong but I'm guessing
that the difficulty is related to grabbing packages while running stable,
which I presume not to be the conventional way to do things.)

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org