Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:48:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Turner <christopher@contemplation.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Solid-state drive problems

Hello,

I have a USB flash drive with 128MB.

When it first recognizes it, i see this on the console:

umass0: USB Solid state disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <128MB HardDrive 1.11> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: 126MB (258048 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 126C)

I can mount it with either of the following depending on the mood of the
box:

"mount_msdos -l /dev/rda0s1 /mnt"
OR
"mount_msdos -l /dev/da0s1 /mnt"

If it doesn't work, i get:
"mount_msdos: /dev/(the device i used): Input/output error" to stderr and
"da0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0" to the console.

If it _does_ work, i get this on the console:
"(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(6)/WRITE(6) not supported, increasing
minimum_cmd_size to 10", but the filesystem works fine.

^^ When it makes it there, everything is perfect until i want to dismount
it.  When i dismount it and remove the flash drive, the box _will not_
detect it again until i reboot.  Sometimes, it will detect the device's
removal and display a console warning; sometimes, not.  But after
reinserting it and regardless of the box recognizing its departure or not,
instead of the flash drive blinking steadily, it only blinks once and the
box wont recognize it.  I'd very much prefer not to reboot.. heh..

does anyone know why this thing is so flaky?  Will it be improved?  Will
sending my style of flash drive to the dev team help?  Is 5.0 more stable
with this kind of stuff?

Is there any way to reinitialize the usb bus(or whatever does the usd
detecting) so it will recognize the flash drive after i've removed it and
reinserted it?

Thanks to whoever can offer help...
-Christopher

--