Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:32:41 -0500
From:      "Brad Benson" <brad@cyberix.com>
To:        "Malartre" <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Netscape browser

> I'd like to know, if they support it for *BSD, will it work on the MacOS
> X and vice versa? How much compatibility is there (or do you expect)
> between MacOS X and FreeBSD?
> I'm not a programmer :-)
> Thank You

From everything I read, it seems that the only real *BSD part of MacOS X is
the userland. The kernel is Mach based and The GUI is not X windows. I'm not
sure how it works, but they have developed there own GUI. Apple basically
went
out and took a dab from here and a dab from there to come up with something
new. I'm under the impression that most *unix apps will compile under OSX,
but
I doubt seriously anything from FreeBSD could be run from a binary on OSX. I
also wonder what would be involved in porting GUI X-windows apps to OSX's
new
GUI.