Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 95 16:26:44 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        yzalkow@birch.ee.vt.edu (Yuval Zalkow)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel compiling; bugs; help

> 	Oh, one more thing, is there anyway to make the console of FreeBSD any
> better than the "SCO" thing it is?  Linux was tab for filename completion, and
> up arrow for command histories.  It also has color built in.  Who do I
> configure FreeBSD to get some of these things back into the console?

This is a function of the shell, not of the console software.  The
console software only displays what it is told to display and allows
you to control certain things like attributes on characters and region
erases and scrolling using escape sequences.

Run zsh or tcsh or bash as your shell, and make sure it is started
correcty (has the right things in the init file).

Note that you should not change the root shell from the sbin shell,
since it is statically linked on purpose so root can log in and fix
problems with the shared library system if they occur.  The other
shells are dynamically linked to save space on disk and in core.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.