Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:36:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel memory errors?

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:

> I can't run 'top' or 'ps' since booting a new 3.0 kernel (cvsuped less
> than 24hrs ago).  The system seems to be working fine, in that I'm in
> X and running Netscape now, but I get the following errors when I try
> to run two very important utilities...

Evidently you're running current.  The kernel has a direct interface to
several programs, including ps, top, netstat, and others, and when the
interface changes, you can't just build a new kernel, you have to build
the entire world.  Well, you can actually get away with rebuilding what
breaks, though when you complain about things working wierdly, people will
stop listening, because they know you aren't playing the game by the
rules.  They expect you're going to rebuild the world before you make a
complaint.

One other thing to note is that the interface between the kernel and the
lkms is also very close, and if you upgrade your kernel without upgrading
your lkms, and you load one, say goodnight, it's panic time.

> [pimp]

Pimp?  Really!  Haha, ok ok

 /home/murray: top
> kvm_open: proc size mismatch (28552 total, 656 chunks)
> top: Out of memory.
>
> [pimp] /home/murray: ps
> ps: proc size mismatch (14608 total, 656 chunks)
>
> Murray Stokely

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |