Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:08:51 -0500
From:      Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd@brandonfa.lk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Graphical Terminal Environment

On 3/6/2012 1:39 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:39:57 -0500
> Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd@brandonfa.lk> wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking for a while about possibly making an extremely
>> lightweight environment that supports full monitor resolution, custom
>> fonts, and terminals... that's about it.
>>
>> Essentially, an x11 that only supports tiling xterms all over the place. I
>> do everything through terminals, and I think it'd be a fun project to make
>> something that's only purpose is to make it so you can use your entire
>> screen to its fullest (larger resolutions, smaller fonts, etc). Just a
>> graphical tty.
> Since no one has mentioned it, if that's all you want, then all you
> really need to do is figure out how create one max-sized terminal on
> each physical screen. The screen command (ports/sysutils/screen) will
> then let you create multiple shell sessions on each screen, including
> tiling multiple sessions on the screen. It didn't interact well with
> emacs, and emacs would do pretty much everything I wanted it to do, so
> I stopped using it a while back for that kind of thing.
>
> I also find the comment that "X is quite large" amusing, because I
> wind up comparing it to the competition (the Mac UI being the only
> other current one that runs on top of Unix), and it looks quite
> compact. You might try a custom build of X, turning off all the stuff
> you don't need, and disabling the loading of any extensions you don't
> need, and see how much you can shrink it by before tackling rewriting
> it. You may even be able to lose the requirement for a pointer.
>
> I'm also curious as to why you want the ability to draw lines,
> circles, etc. to handle an array of terminals. Screen shows that can
> be done with nothing but a CGA. It might be education, though.
>
>    <mike
You seem to understand exactly want I want. Just small font terminals on all
screens, and I was actually thinking `screen` would do the trick for the
splitting/management of them. As for stripping down X, I might do so as a proof
of concept, but in the end I want to develop my own for my own learning.

When I mention lines, circles, etc I was thinking moreso at the very low level
of fonts being drawn by lines and dots (although I would like to branch it
eventually to support 2d graphics where people could maybe make some 2d games,
but keep the high-res terminal on the side to keep it minimal). I also may want
to draw some lines to border terminal windows (screen would eliminate this
obviously).

-Brandon