Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:37:56 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ORBS vs MAPS

On Thu 2000-07-20 (10:01), Brad Knowles wrote:
> >  	ORBS consistently attempts to pass email through other people's machines
> >  through the use of spoofed headers. This is illegal in many jurisdictions.
> >  IMO, a single spoofed header is SPAM and network abuse.
>
> 	No, they don't spoof any headers at all.  In fact, they clearly
> label all the test e-mail they send as being from their testing
> server.
>
> 	They do try all the same standard tricks on the sender and
> recipient addresses that junkmailers are known to try, to see if the
> machine in question might not properly look inside quotes, or
> mistakenly think that they can trust the claimed envelope sender as
> opposed to looking at the IP address, etc....
>
> 	However, this isn't spoofing headers.

Of course, if I attempt to block their spam, by blackholing their
traffic, or bouncing all mail from them, or whatever action I'd take
with any other spammer, I get added to their list.  Friendly, eh?

While I tend to keep out of spam wars, I got really pissed off when the
student server I was helping to administer was added to ORBS because it
"shared a nameserver with" a machine at another university over 1000
kilometers away.  Scary.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner